What is Bird Flu
This virus mainly infects birds, but it can also infect humans if precautions are not taken. H5N1 is influenza that is highly contagious to birds and causes a severe respiratory disease called Avian.
Remember these 6 points to not get infected by this H5N1 Virus.
- The H5N1 virus is rarely transmitted from human to human. That is why there is no need to panic. It is only when a human comes in direct contact with an infected bird, infected chickens, or infected surfaces.
- If you do such work that you come in contact with birds and chickens like poultry farms, bird shops, etc. So you should wear a mask, wash your hands frequently, and wash the exposed area.
- According to the WHO, it is safe to eat chicken, duck, and eggs when cooked properly. Keep in mind that pink spots and flowing yolk should not be eaten. Do not use the microwave to cook poultry products as microwaving often does not kill the virus. Use gas to cook poultry products well.
- As per AIIMS, poultry meat should be cooked on gas at a temperature above 70ºC for 30 minutes. By doing this, the virus present in the poultry meat is destroyed and the meat is safe for consumption.
- If you are going to the butcher’s shop, do not forget to take your box (recommended: steel box) and avoid using plastic bags. And also avoid going to open meat markets because they are the epicenter of the virus. On reaching home, wash the chicken thoroughly and wash your hands as well.
- Wash the chicken with hot or boiling water and avoid washing under the tap as it may splatter while washing. Use different utensils for raw and cooked meat.